Skip to Content
Family Law & Divorce Attorneys in Virginia

What Is “Wasteful Dissipation” of Marital Assets?

Experienced Virginia Attorneys

Divorce isn’t an easy process for everyone. In fact, some people going through a divorce end up feeling bitter and hateful about their spouse, wanting them to have as little as possible after the separation. Alternately, if a couple was going through financial problems before the divorce, one partner might try and squirrel away as much money as possible to prevent his or her spouse from getting any of it.

Marital funds are considered any money or assets spouses shared during a marriage. This includes property, shared bank accounts, and any credit cards opened during the course of the marriage. During a divorce, most states split marital assets equitably between the two spouses. If one spouse wants to prevent the other from getting more money, he or she might decide to hide or spend it.

Dissipation of marital assets includes the concealment or wasting of marital assets in anticipation of a divorce. Dissipation could include gambling money away or spending it on a lover. If you suspect your spouse is wasting your marital assets, you can hire a forensic accountant.

Forensic accountants are trained to squirrel out every asset belonging to both spouses so all assets can then be valuated and split equitably during a divorce. He or she can sift through all financial records and flag down anything that looks suspicious or out of context.

If your spouse is hiding or wasting assets, you need to ensure you have proof in order to pursue a claim. Make sure the cost of hiring a forensic accountant is worth the amount you suspect your spouse is hiding.

Talk to one of our skilled Fairfax divorce attorney about your situation today. The lawyers at Malinowski Hubbard, PLLC are exclusively devoted to family law, and we can represent people throughout Northern Virginia in many types of divorce cases. We are known for our tenacious advocacy and straight-talk communication style. Let us see what we can do for you.

Contact us at (703) 935-4222 or fill out our online form to schedule a case consultation today.